Basbousa is a traditional Middle Eastern sweet cake which is originated in Egypt and also popular in other countries. It is made from a semolina batter and garnished with almond or any other nuts. It is sweetened with sugar syrup, and typically cut into diamond shapes. Now let’s see how to prepare tasty sweet basbousa.
- 250 g Semolina
- 1/2 Cup Powdered sugar
- 1/3 Cup Melted butter
- 3/4 Cup Desiccated coconut
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla essence
For sugar syrup
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 1/2 Tsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 Tsp Rose water
- In a bowl add semolina, powdered sugar and melted butter. Mix them well.
- To this add desiccated coconut and milk. Mix it well.
- Finally add vanilla essence and baking powder to this and mix it well. Let it rest for 10 minutes.
- In a baking tray apply some butter and sprinkle some semolina.
- Pour the batter to the tray. Garnish with some almonds.
- Preheat the oven in 180℃ and bake it for 20-25 minutes.
- In a pan add sugar and water. Let the sugar dessolve well, and bring it to boil.
- To the sugar syrup add lemon juice and rose water. Mix it well. Turn off the flame.
- Pour this sugar syrup to the basbousa prepared.