Kheer, Payasa, Payasam or Phirni is a type of pudding from the Indian subcontinent, made by boiling milk, and sugar accompanied with any type of pulses like rice, bulgar wheat or millet. Payasam is also made with tapioca, vermicelli, sweet corn or even fruits. It is typically flavored with desiccated coconut, cardamom, raisins, saffron, cashews, pistachios, almonds, or other dry fruits and nuts. It is typically served during a meal or as a dessert. There are a large variety of payasam made during these days. Caramel payasam is one among them. Lets see how to prepare caramel payasam.
- 4 Cup Milk
- 3/4 Cup Roasted vermicelli
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ghee
- Cashew nuts To garnish
- Almonda To garnish
- In a pan add the milk and bring to boil.
- To this add the roasted vermicelli and stir continuously for 4-5 minutes.
- In another pan add sugar and caramalise it.
- Pour this caramel to the payasam and stir continuously. Bring it to boil. Turn off the flame.
- In a pan add some ghee. To this add the nuts and slightly roast it.
- Pour this to the payasam prepared and mix well.
- Serve and garnish with some caramel crystals.